The daily tomato: How to maintain focus and kick ass on multiple projects

Posted in Entrepreneurship, Goals, Personal, Posts by

4740204537_61c723e099_z.jpg

Photo by Mr. T in DC

How many blog posts, books, and articles have been written about focus as the key to success? I’ve written previously about how side projects are like children, and I’ve struggled most of my adult life with the question of focus and not taking on too much. I suppose if I asked some people, they’d say I should just focus on one thing at a time. However, what I’ve come to realize is that just isn’t my personality. I have too many things that I’m interested in and want to be involved with, build, play with, etc. to focus all my time and energy on just one thing. On the other hand, I’ve definitely fallen prey to the temptation to just keep layering on side projects until the whole house of cards collapses because I just don’t have enough time. So what to do?

A few things have been helpful to me over the last couple years in dealing with this:

1. One primary thing – As much as possible, I try to just have one big giant thing that I’m focused on. I spend most of my time and mental energy here.
  2. Kill old projects – I have things that I used to be interested in that I have no intention of doing, but I haven’t officially killed them off. As a result, they continue to take up cognitive space and energy.
  3. Getting Things Done – Yes, I talk about this a lot, but that’s because it’s been transformative for me. I recently got my GTD rolling again and it’s been so refreshing to have a handle on everything again.
  4. Lifestyle design – The Four Hour Work Week has a lot of really great principles in it, like avoiding work for work’s sake, a low-information diet, outsourcing, automation, and more.

Using these together, I’ve been able to better manage my side projects and feel better about not letting them take over my life. In spite of this, I was still often taking on more than I had time for and ending up feeling frustrated and guilty because I wasn’t finishing things or even making much progress. But about six months ago, I started trying a new method that has been working really well for me. Are you ready?

I work on each of my side projects for 25 mins every day.

Yes, very simple. The 25 mins is a reference to the pomodoro method (hence the title of this post), and I simply spin a kitchen timer that I have sitting next to my keyboard and work on the project for 25 minutes every weekday. Not easy, but not at all complicated. However, this has made a big impact in my life. Let me explain why:

It forces me to ruthlessly prune projects

My daily habits are sacred. I maintain a list of a handful of things that I do every day Monday – Friday and I never, ever miss them. Ever. Doesn’t matter what the circumstances are, I get those habits done. I’ve been doing this for years and I haven’t missed a single habit in almost 18 months. This isn’t to brag, just to emphasize that once I put something on my list of daily habits, it’s going to get done.

So if you start from the premise that putting something on your daily habit list means it absolutely must get done, you’ll probably be pretty careful what you put on that list. This puts a hard limit on the number of side projects you can really juggle at one time. I currently have three projects on my list and it’s a genuine challenge every day to find the time and mental energy to work on them each for 25 minutes. If you don’t believe me, give it a try for a month.

It forces me to define clear next actions

I’m very often tired and distracted and not at all in the mood to work on a side project, so trying to figure out what I should be doing next is usually not what I want to be doing. I’ve found it hugely helpful to have a standing list of tasks that need to be tackled for that project, so I can just sit down, pick the next one on the list, and go. This emphasis on next actions is another thing GTD has helped with.

It keeps me moving forward

It’s hugely encouraging to get little wins on projects I care about every day. And it’s amazing to look back after a few months and look at what I’ve accomplished, vs. what I accomplished on the same projects before starting this method. In fact, part of the reason I started this was looking at one of my website projects and realized that I hadn’t pushed any code in more than a year. Now I keep some momentum going at all times on active projects, or I officially backburner or kill them off. And over time, those small daily steps really add up.

It reduces switching costs

When I work on projects every few weeks (or worse), I end up spending the first half of my time just trying to figure out where I was last, what’s going on with the project, doing housekeeping, etc. This isn’t fun, and the result is often that I build up some psychological resistance to working on the project at all, and weeks turn into months. But when I’m in the project every day, even for just a few minutes, I can kind of keep track of stuff in my head a little better, so when I sit down tomorrow to work on it again, I’ll have far less mental refreshing to do before I can be productive.

This method isn’t perfect; it’s tempting to only spend 25 mins per day on projects, and some tasks just need more time than that. I’m still working on the best way to handle that (suggestions?), but overall, I’ve seen huge productivity gains by utilizing this method. Maybe a daily tomato will work for you as well.

18 Responses to “The daily tomato: How to maintain focus and kick ass on multiple projects”

1. @samspurlin says:

I like that method. I know what you mean about the psychological barriers that get put up the more you put off working on a side project. A bonus of having multiple side projects going is that if I need a boost getting going on m main project

2. maurizio says:

For the larger projects that need more time you could iterate the 25 minutes. After spending 25 minutes on every project do another round on the more time comsuming.

3. I started being a pomodoro user… Until I had something like an epiphany and switched to a "forced timeboxing". One day I was cleaning the dishes (had a pomodoro for it and for sorting out the kitchen) and I found myself trying to do it in less than 10 minutes to spend the rest of the pomodoro doing something else. Thus, I wrote a post on timeboxing (Timeboxing: You will work like never before) explaining how I tackled my tasks with it. These days I'm so busy that I can not even timebox them, I just do them asap (in some sort of order of priority).

Cheers,

Ruben

PS: Last Saturday I started The Greatest Salesman in the World (Spanish edition), but changed the 30 days for 21 days, reading it 5 times a day (to keep the same number of repetitions, roughly, morning, mid-morning, lunch, mid afternoon, night). I want to end it sooner, and 21 is also one of the habit-making time spans. I'll tell you how it goes!

4. Gavin says:

You must have a lot of spare time if you keep writing about all this self-help, focus and time organisation stuff. Most people just get on with it without needing to deal with all this bollocks.

• ryanwaggoner says:

One of my daily habits is writing a blog post. It takes me 30-60 mins and has more than paid for itself in terms of consulting leads, personal branding, and income.Also, I understand your point about just shutting up and getting stuff done, but judging by the many positive emails and comments from people who have found value in my writings, I'm not able to conclude that it's without value for anyone. So I thank you for your feedback, but it's obvious that my writings just aren't a good match for you.

5. vahid says:

Perfect …..

6. Darrin says:

I like this a lot, I (like I'm sure most techies) have a half dozen projects going on at once, so this seems like a nice way of keeping everything moving without forcing yourself to completely write off all the ideas.

• ryanwaggoner says:

Thanks! It's been really helpful for me, though it's hard sometimes to work on a project when you don't feel like it. But like many hard things, it's worth it in retrospect.

7. Mike says:

Great post Ryan – I just started reading your recommendation "The Greatest Secret" and I was wondering if what you learned in that book is also incorporated into your focus techniques? BTW, I'm only on the first scroll, so forgive me if there is no logical overlap.

8. Eric Normand says:

Being organized is the key to maintaining multiple projects. The fact that I can pick up any project, know where I left off, and do something productive with it when inspiration strikes is very powerful. GTD can help with that, when done correctly.

I don't think that it's necessary to work on each project every day. I much prefer to spend a 2-3 hour block. But I can see that it could be an advantage. The key is to know exactly what needs to get done before you start.

• ryanwaggoner says:

Agreed on knowing exactly what needs to be done, but I've found the daily thing really helpful too. I sometimes work longer if the urge strikes, but I know I'll at least be getting a half hour of work done every day.

9. [...] down to PDF format – Software – Technology – News – iTnews.com.auAbout time!The daily tomato: How to maintain focus and kick ass on multiple projectsName One Thing About Web Development You Never Saw ComingFour Hundred Guru–The Top 10 IBM i [...]

10. [...] down to PDF format – Software – Technology – News – iTnews.com.auAbout time!The daily tomato: How to maintain focus and kick ass on multiple projectsName One Thing About Web Development You Never Saw ComingFour Hundred Guru–The Top 10 IBM i [...]

11. [...] The daily tomato: How to maintain focus and kick ass on multiple projects (ryanwaggoner.com) [...]

12. [...] I find it very helpful as a measure of the minimum amount of time needed on each of my projects every [...]

13. hank says:

Breaking down your tasks really helps you get more done and makes those large projects seem like ant hills instead. Simply setting aside time each day allows things to become habit quickly for me and from there maintaining focus is easy. Also it never hurts to take a break once in a while to clear your head and remind yourself why you do what you do. http://hubpages.com/hub/maintain-focus-tips-on-ho